Born (1970) and raised in Sydney, Australia, Murray Fredericks studied politics and economics at Sydney University. Following his undergraduate degree, he spent five years traveling in the Middle East and in the Himalaya. The experience of spending large amounts of time in these 'powerful' locations provided the basis for his approach to his photography.
Essentially self-taught in photography, Fredericks undertook and completed a Masters of Art and then his MFA at the College of Fine Arts, University of New South Wales some years into his 'exhibiting' career.
Fredericks's work is derived from a perspective that views culture as something that cannot be wholly accounted for through social construct. It's a view that sees some values as derived from a 'time-less essence'. The work attempts to represent the experience when thought is temporarily suspended and the mind encounters 'other'.
From the start of his career Fredericks process has involved prolonged solo journeys to remote and often extreme locations.
Adventure and endurance have never been goals in themselves and neither have the journeys been 'spiritual' or 'monastic' undertakings. By their very nature, though, the locations are difficult to access and require large amounts time spent in them to move the compositions past the 'surface exotic'.
Murray Fredericks is represented by Hamiltons Gallery in London and Arc One Gallery in Melbourne. His works have been exhibited internationally including at the Louvre as part of Paris Photo, in Shanghai and around Australia. His work sits in major public and private and corporate collections including the National Gallery of Victoria, National Portrait Gallery, Elton John, Valentino, ABN Amro and Macquarie Bank Collections.
Murray Fredericks first documentary film 'Salt', where he was cinematographer and co-director, won twelve major international awards, played over 50 festivals and was screened on the ABC and PBS in the USA.
- 2011'Salt' Australian Centre for Photography, Sydney
- 2011'Trace' Arc One Gallery, Melbourne
- 2009'Salt' Hamiltons Gallery, London
- 2009'Salt' Arc 1 Gallery, Melbourne
- 2009'Salt' Adelaide Festival Centre
- 2007'Salt' Lake Eyre Photographs 2006-07, Boutwell Draper Gallery, Sydney
- 2007'Salt' Lake Eyre Photographs - Hamiltons Gallery, London
- 2007'The Biscuit Factory' - Museum of Sydney
- 2006'Salt' Lake Eyre Photographs 2005 - Boutwell Draper Gallery, Sydney
- 2003Tasmania Glacial Remnants - Point Light Gallery, Sydney
- 2001Patagonia y Altiplano - Point Light Gallery, Sydney
- 1999Himalaya The Naked Landscape - Point Light Gallery, Sydney
- 2010Pinyao International Photography Festival, China
- 2010The Louvre, Paris Photo
- 2010National Gallery of Victoria - 'Stormy Weather' Contemporary Landscape Photography'
- 2010Lake Macquarie Regional Gallery - 'The Lake'
- 2009Australian Centre for Photography - 'The Lake'
- 2008Hamiltons Gallery, London
- 2008Boutwell Draper Gallery Sydney
- 2007ABN Amro 'Emergent' Finalists Exhibition, Sydney
- 2006The Louvre, Paris Photo
- 2006Eastlink Gallery, Shanghai - 'Landscape'
- 2006Australian Photographers Gallery - 'Head On'
- 2004National Portrait Gallery, Canberra - 'Masters of Fare'
- National Gallery of Victoria
- ABN Amro Collection
- Macquarie Bank Collection
- National Portrait Gallery, Canberra
- Sir Elton John Collection
- Valentino Collection